Nantwich Town Football Club currently have an exciting opportunity for a confident and ambitious candidate to become the club’s Press Officer.
The role perfectly suits an aspiring sports journalist who is passionate about writing about football and wishes to work in the industry.
Nantwich Town FC are in the Northern Premier League Premier Division – the seventh tier of English football – and last season finished 5th in the division before the campaign was called off due to the COVID-19 crisis, one point from reaching the play-offs for the third time in four years; they reached the First Round Proper of the FA Cup for the third time in the club’s history and also progressed to the Semi-Finals of the Cheshire Senior Cup for the fourth time in a row.
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn the trade in a semi-professional and high-profile football environment, plus gain real-life experience to add to your CV.
This position will report to Commercial Director Tim Crighton and work closely with club secretary Carl Thorpe. You will also be working with the existing media team and current programme editor Chris Lincoln.
Press Officer Roles:
– Adding content and maintaining the Nantwich Town website.
– Attending all first-team matches, and covering the games on social media.
– Writing match reports for both the club website and for published newspapers, including the nationally-published Non-League Paper.
– Conducting player and manager interviews
– Social media – using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube to keep supporters informed of all things to do with the club on a day-to-day basis.
– Sending news articles to the local press and national media.
– Being the first point of contact for all outside journalists and reporters, maintaining an excellent relationship with the press.
The right candidate will need strong writing skills as a large part of this role will be writing and editing articles for both traditional media and online.
Experience in this area would be an advantage, but not completely necessary.
This fulfilling and rewarding role does require a high level of passion and commitment. The successful candidate will be required to attend as many games as possible, both home and away. These can include trips to places like Whitby, Morpeth and South Shields, which are long-distance journeys for the club and require early starts on the team coach and late returns home.
This role would require you to be available on all Saturdays throughout the season, as well as a number of Tuesday evenings from 5-6pm onwards.
The role is voluntary/unpaid but it will bring immense job satisfaction and excellent future career prospects to get such sought-after work experience.
– Based in the local area (South Cheshire, North Staffordshire)
– Can easily commute to and from home games (own transport advantageous), as well as get to the majority of away games (either via own transport or by travelling to the club/scheduled pick-up destination for the team coach)
– Be able to commit to the majority Saturdays and Tuesdays
– Strong written, audio/visual and interpersonal skills
– A knowledge of football, with a focus on non-league football.
– Experience of working in a sports environment
– Experience using Adobe Photoshop
– Video-editing software experience with either Adobe Premiere, Final Cut or iMovie.
– A knowledge of non-league football. This is not essential but would be beneficial.
Exiting Press Officer Ryan Batty notes: “It’s devastating to leave the club after three seasons. Each year for me has been memorable and I owe the club a lot for the tremendous experiences and memories that I have experienced. The vacant position is one that will provide an incredible chance for you to showcase your skills and gain valuable experience in the industry. You’ll be working with an incredible, eager media team to help you settle into the role. I couldn’t recommend the job enough!”
The role would suit someone who is currently studying a Media, Journalism or English Literature degree at University. If you wish to apply for the position of Press Officer, then please email your CV and an expression of interest to [email protected]
Examples of tasks presented as Press Officer:
Video Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJPnNR1-PNg&t=3s
Player/Manager Interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlVvKBZ-10