Nantwich Town recorded their biggest win of the season with a 4-0 victory away at Ashton United.

A James Lawrie penalty was succeeded by a red card for the home side, easing the Dabbers’ path to victory with two goals following from Callum Saunders and one from Ricardo Fuller, both their first league goals since returning to the club.

The first half wasn’t especially high on quality and was punctuated by two big moments.

Sam Sheridan had the first effort of the game, controlling the ball on his chest from a long throw and shooting straight at Greg Hall.

Andrew Howarth blazed over from just outside the box before the Dabbers started to get into the game.

Hall himself launched a counter-attack after a quarter hour, Callum Saunders and Sean Cooke linking up well as they did throughout, it was Cooke who just lost control of the ball as he looked to get a shot away.

The signs were promising, though, and a couple of minutes later the breakthrough came.

Cooke and Saunders were involved again, the ball finding Saunders in space in the box, forcing Ashton captain Jonathan Hunt into a rushed challenge, pulling down Saunders for a penalty.

James Lawrie took it and scored, just, the ball striking the right hand post and bouncing into the left corner for the opener.

Cooke had a decent chance for a second, hitting the side netting with the outside of his right foot, then Saunders broke the offside trap but hit straight at Worsnop.

The other big moment of the half came on 38 minutes. Howarth charged two-footed into a challenge with James Lawrie earning him a straight red card and giving the visitors the proverbial mountain to climb.

The Dabbers were very nearly caught out before the break, Connor Hughes hitting the side netting from a decent position.

That one-man advantage proved crucial in the second half with tiring legs and positive play from the Dabbers extending the lead.

It started six minutes into the half, the excellent Troy Bourne putting a ball in from the right for Callum Saunders to head in from close range on his first league appearance in his second spell at the club, and he pulled out his famous golf swing to celebrate.

After a debatable yellow card for diving, Saunders quickly put that behind him to get his second and his 4th in two games. It was Will Saxon who set him up this time, Saxon looking bright and full of energy off the bench, rolling the ball to the Dabbers no.9 to seal the three points.

Things got better for the men in yellow 15 minutes from time. It was another returning favourite, Ricardo Fuller, who notched his first for the club in his own second spell.

The Jamaican had only been on the pitch for a minute or so when he got on the ball on the right byline and cheekily managed to squeeze the ball past Worsnop from the narrowest of angles, thrilling the small but noisy band of Dabbers supporters behind the goal.

Valdemar Schousboe had a couple of chances to further rub the salt into Ashton but no-one will be complaining about a four goal victory and a clean sheet away from home after an up and down couple of weeks for the club.

Ashton United: Worsnop, Lufudu, Clee, HAvern, Hunt (C), Field (Wilson, 46), Howarth, Rowney, Slew (Tomsett, 46), Sheridan, Hughes (Tames, 69)

Subs not used: Carr, Obeng

Red card: Howarth, 38

Nantwich Town: Hall, Bourne, Devine, Stair, Davis, Hughes (C), Lawrie, Webb (Fuller, 74), Saunders (Schousboe, 82), Cooke, Walsh (Saxon, 65)

Subs not used: Harrison, Mwasile

Goals: Lawrie (Pen) 18, Saunders, 51, 73, Fuller, 76

Attendance: 144