The Dabbers bagged a late equaliser to draw 1-1 with Buxton on Tuesday night.

Nantwich were looking to get back to winning ways after the Scarborough result, against a high flying Buxton side, who were looking to go top of the table with a win themselves, so it was all set up for a good game.

At the Tarmac Silverlands stadium, in what was a very chilly and misty start to the game, the Dabbers looked to take the game to the home side, and they did just that with a few good penetrating runs to the home sides’ defence.

Buxton however came back into the game, and Jamie Ward was causing the away side’s defence all manner of problems, as twice in the first twenty minutes he forced Wycherley into action.

After that Nantwich looked to shock the home side by taking the lead, and they very nearly did as Cockerline had a good shot that for a brief moment silenced the home side’s fans.

Back came the home side though and the best chance of the half fell to Tommy Elliott and he cut in, and hit a shot which hit the crossbar, thankfully for all of the travelling Dabbers fans.

The game then became a bit more cagey, as both teams looked to stifle each other defensively, and neither side gave too much away, and as such despite Buxton putting pressure on, Nantwich held firm going into half time, as it remained goalless.

The second half started brightly again for Nantwich, before a hammer blow, as that man for the home side, Jamie Ward found himself in a bit of space, and thumped a shot into the back of the net to give the home side the lead six minutes after the re-start.

Almost immediately at the other end, the Dabbers most dangerous player, Cockerline looked to equalise, but his shot was very well saved by Richardson in the home sides’ goal.

The pressure from Nantwich was more relentless, as first Webb, then Malkin had shots that could have produced that crucial equaliser.

As the game went on, both sides had chances, with Nantwich pressing more and more, and then late on the story of the game changed completely.

First of all, Wycherley produced a stunning save to deny Buxton a second goal, which would have sealed the win for the home side, and then up at the other end, after the best move of the game by the away side, Jamie Morgan put the ball into the net, to get that highly vital and important equalising goal, to the delight of everyone in the away side.

Then in injury time the home sides captain Josh Granite was sent off for an apparent elbow, and from there, that is how the game finished, as a hugely creditable draw for Nantwich, in front of a crowd of 710 people, and the travelling fans could make the trip home with very happy memories.


Buxton: Theo Richardson, Matt Curley, Nathan Fox, Ben Middleton, Josh Granite, Lindon Meikle, Dom Tear (James Hurst, 77), Jamie Ward, Diego De Girolamo (Chris Dawson, 86), Warren Clarke

Subs not used: Akeem Hinds, Jack Dillingham

Goal: Ward (51)

Red card: Granite (90+3)

Nantwich Town: Andy Wycherley, Joel Stair, Jamie Morgan, Troy Bourne, Josh Langley, David Vaughan (Joe Mwasile, 70), David Webb, Caspar Hughes, Dan Cockerline (Connor Heath, 77), Sean Cooke, Joe Malkin

Subs not used: Jacob Edwards, Tommy Montefiori, Cameron Terry

Goal: Morgan (90+1)

Attendance: 710