Two late Dabbers goals complete dramatic comeback.

Two goals in the last 3 minutes from James Lawrie & Joel Stair helped Nantwich claim all three points after a dramatic late comeback. Both sides came into the game with unbeaten records so far this season, albeit after only three games. So with confidence high, it had all the makings of an absolute cracker.

It only took six minutes for the game to see it’s first goal as the visitors took the lead thanks to James Hurst’s goal. He cut into the box from the right side before unleashing shot that went over Greg Hall before nestling in the back of the net. It wasn’t the start that The Dabbers would have been hoping for, however thankfully there was still a lot of football left to play. Nantwich were struggling to get into the game, they almost a conceded a second moments later. A miscommunication at the back between Greg Hall & Ben Harrison almost lead to Harrison heading into his own goal, however luckily for him his header went behind for a corner.

The visitors were commanding the game and they were playing such a high line that Nantwich couldn’t play their usual passing game. The Dabbers who guilty of giving the ball away on the edge of their box in the 32nd minute. Chris Dawson intercepted a loose Nantwich pass before shooting form the left side of the box, Nantwich keeper Greg Hall got down well to saved before it was eventually cleared away for a corner. With three minutes to go before half time Nantwich finally had their first effort on goal as a ball from the left side found Callum Saunders with his back to goal in the box, he laid it off to James Lawrie whose first time shot was weak and easy for the keeper.

Half time couldn’t have come any sooner for Nantwich, they were second best for all of the first period and had a lot of work to do if they were to get something out of this game.

Whatever Dabbers manager Dave Cooke said at half time seemed to work, his side came flying out the blocks. In the 52nd minute they had a golden chance to level the scoring after Luke Walsh broke the offside trap to latch onto Greg Hall’s long goal kick, as Walsh danced into the box, he went past two defender before making space for the shot, however it was straight at the keeper who saved well with his legs. Moments later Nantwich had another great chance as Troy Bourne did well down the left before getting to the byline and then firing across the face of goal, unfortunately for The Dabbers though, Mike Koral couldn’t quite get enough on his header to direct it towards goal.

Despite being the better side in the second half, Nantwich couldn’t seem to break down the solid Buxton side. In fact their next good opportunity came in the 86th minute when Troy Bourne was wrestled to the ground at the box, giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. James Lawrie stepped up for The Dabbers and send Buxton keeper Tommy Taylor the wrong way. With the scores level it was looking like Nantwich had fought back to salvage a point, however in the 89th minute the Dabbers won a free kick in an attacking position. Lawrie whipped in the free kick from the right and it was met by Joel Stair who saw his header loop over the keeper and then just under the bar, sparking scenes of jubilation all around The Weaver Stadium.

It was an outstanding turnaround from the Dabbers who had managed to turn this game on its head as they came away with the three points. Their never say die attitude left manager Dave Cooke with a beaming smile on his face as he told the press after the game just how proud he was of his lads!

Attention now turns to Saturday as the Dabbers host Barwell in the Second Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

MOTM Sponsored by Nantwich Refrigeration Services – Joel Stair

Dabber of the Day – Richard Bourne (Ultra Ball Boy)

Attendance – 325