Nantwich v Banbury FA Cup

In what was a perfect day for Nantwich Town to look to get back to winning ways, with the pitch looking in tip top condition, and not a cloud in the sky, with the sun beating down, one could have been forgiven for thinking that this was a summer game, rather than an autumnal one.

There was a party atmosphere to welcome new signing David Vaughan to the club, one which resulted in a lot of positive thoughts by people coming to the Optimum Pay Stadium before kick off.

This had all the hallmarks of a great FA Cup tie, and Dave Cooke went with an attacking line up from the start, with new signing Vaughan starting on the bench due to a lack of training time for this game.

The game started off very well for the home side, as right from the off, Nantwich looked to put pressure on the away side. Joel Stair put in a wonderful cross in the fifth minute which was very unfortunate to not see a teammate on the end of it. Then it was Miller who was next to try his luck, seeing his effort narrowly miss the target, this got the crowd pumped up, as they were really getting into the game.

Banbury had their chances, as both Wreh and Morgan Roberts had chances of their own, before the moment the crowd had waited for, a wonderful cross from out wide by Joe Mwasile was headed in by Jimmy Lawrie, and that led to jubilant scenes both on the pitch and off of it, as everyone was delighted to see the home goal drought come to an end.

From there the Dabbers looked to exert control over the match, and they looked good for a half time lead, but then a mishap in the defence, and it was 1-1 with Morgan Roberts grabbing a goal that didn’t look like coming, with a low shot right across Terry.

After half time, Nantwich and especially Joe Mwasile looked to come out all guns blazing, as he was causing the away defence a lot of problems, and looked the best source of creating another goal.

The first goalscorer, Lawrie had another chance to double his and the home sides tally, but his shot was just off target in the 56th minute.

Just after the hour mark Mwasile was substituted along with Miller for Montefiori and Walsh, and this just continued the pattern of Nantwich being on top, with the away side holding firm.

There was however a warning as Banbury’s first goalscorer Roberts had the ball in the net, but was offside in doing so, much to the relief of the home side, and their fans.

It was nip and tuck, with either side capable of winning the game before the full time whistle, sadly it was the away side who found a way to score, as Sam Brown found himself in the area, and shot passed Terry to give the away side a somewhat fortuitous lead in the very last minute of the game.

That is how it finished, as the away side held on the last few remaining minutes, and the men’s team follow the women’s team in sadly departing from this season’s FA Cup.



Terry, J.Stair, Devine, Bourne, Langley, Sy, Lawrie, Hughes ©, Miller, Cooke, Mwasile

Subs: Haywood, Hatton, T. Stair, Walsh, Montefiori, Vaughan, Hawkins.


Harding, C. Roberts, Brown, Sharpe, Langmead, Westbrook ©, Babos, Rasulo, Wreh, M. Roberts, Acquaye.

Subs: Rowe, Pattison, Patterson, Johnston, Rowley, Reilly, Taylor

Attendance: 444.