Ashton came from a goal down to win 2-1 against Nantwich Town at Hurst Cross on Saturday.

Nantwich came into this game, looking to get back to winning ways after the home draw with Warrington, and Dave Cooke certainly put out a side with that in mind, he wanted to get at Ashton straight from the kick off, and he can be pleased with how his team reacted.


A wonderful cross and Heath managed to get his head to it, to power it into the back of the net to get the visitors ahead in this crucial game in just the fourth minute of the game.


From there the game became a bit of a war of attrition, with both sets of midfielders looking to be the dominant side, and chances become scarce, but Nantwich still had that early goal to hold onto.


Tom Bentham for Ashton was looking lively and on more than one occasion caused panic in the away box.


Then in the twenty seventh minute came a huge turning point, as a shot was fired in, and the referee awarded a penalty to Ashton United, for a handball against Ben Harrison, which did look a bit harsh, and up stepped that man Tom Bentham to slot it past Cameron Terry in the Dabbers goal, to equalise for the home side.


That goal really seemed to galvanise the home side, and to do the opposite unfortunately for the away fans that had come to the game to show their support, as Ashton piled on the pressure, and had more than a few shots that Terry had to be alert to save, but thankfully he was, and the score remained 1-1 at half time.


Before kick off in the second half, Luke Walsh came on for Tommy Montefiori for Nantwich to try and change the momentum that had swung to the home side.


However, not much changed, and Nantwich were on the back foot, and looking to soak up the pressure and break using the guile of Cooke and the skills of Cockerline.


That looked to be working well, and it looked like the game was heading for a draw, until late on in the eighty forth minute when Ashton were awarded another penalty, this time with Bentham having been taken off, the duties were left to his replacement Ionut-Casian Anghel to take the decisive penalty, and he did just as well as the player he replaced, to put Ashton in the lead, 2-1.


Despite some late changes, which saw Mwasile come on for Harrison, to try to take the game to the home side, Ashton held on the for the vital three points.



Ashton United: Dermot Mee, Adam Senior, Tom Warren, Sam Baird (Stavros Tserpes, 63), Harry Coates, Michael Brewster ©, Liam Tomsett, Harvey Macadam, Tom Bentham (Cassian Anghel, 80), Jordan Hulme, Florian Yonsian (Ben Hardastle, 62)

Subs not used: Oliver Martin, Andreas Bianga

Goals: Bentham (pen, 29), Anghel (pen, 84)

Nantwich Town: Cameron Terry, Troy Bourne. Matthew Devine, Joel Stair ©, Ben Harrison (Joe Mwasile, 85), Prince Haywood, Connor Heath, Patrick Jarrett (Shaun Miller, 70), Daniel Cockerline, Sean Cooke, Tommy Montefiori (Luke Walsh, 46)

Subs not used: Jacob Edwards, Oliver Pope

Goal: Heath (5)

Attendance: 226