Hednesford Town vs Nantwich Town

16/03/2019 | 3:00 pm
Keys Park




Kieran Wells 37′, Dan Sweeney 50′(p), 57′, Ben O’Hanlon 86′

Jamie Morgan 52′, 83′, Danny Glover 65′, Joe Malkin 75′


  1. Kieran Preston
  2. Javan Vidal
  3. Nathan Fox
  4. Alex-Ray Harvey
  5. Jon Moran
  6. Ben Bailey (c)
  7. Daniel Racchi
  8. Reece King
  9. Kieran Wells
  10. Dan Sweeney
  11. Jack Hallahan


Ben O’Hanlon for Jack Hallahan (70′)
Charlie Gatter for Daniel Racchi (81′)
Shane Benjamin for Kieran Wells (89′)


  1. Will Jaaskelainen
  2. Jamie Morgan
  3. Troy Bourne
  4. Joel Stair
  5. Toby Mullarkey
  6. Caspar Hughes (c)
  7. James Lawrie
  8. Ricardo Fuller
  9. Joe Malkin
  10. Sean Cooke
  11. Nathan Cotterell


Luke Walsh for Nathan Cotterell (54′)
Matt Bell for James Lawrie (54′)
Danny Glover for Ricardo Fuller (63′)

Nantwich Town fought back from two goals down twice but were denied all three points at Hednesford Town on Saturday afternoon in an eight-goal thriller.

The Pitmen took the lead five minutes before half-time when Reece King used quick feet to get the better of Troy Bourne before crossing for Kieran Wells to head past Will Jaaskelainen against the run of play after Nantwich had gone close on a number of occasions.

Six minutes into the second half it got that little bit tougher for the Dabbers after James Lawrie fouled Daniel Sweeney in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Loan man Sweeney stepped up and sent Jaaskelainen the wrong way to make it 2-0.

Nantwich responded to the spot kick almost immediately as two minutes from kick-off the game was back on. Ricardo Fuller held up possession in the box before feeding Jamie Morgan to fire home from close range.

Almost as soon as the Dabbers were on the charge, it was quickly a two-goal deficit again as that man Sweeney was allowed too much space and fired a rocket which came off the underside of the bar and over the line from 20-yards out.

That goal came following a double Dabbers change which would play a big part in the fight back as Luke Walsh and Matt Bell replaced Lawrie and Nathan Cotterell.

Danny Glover was another Nantwich substitute who made an instant impact after coming on for Fuller, latching onto a Sean Cooke through ball and slotting confidently past Kieran Preston in the Hednesford goal four minutes after entering the field of play.

Nantwich found themselves level with 15 minutes remaining after a period of constant pressure. Glover had an effort saved by Preston from a corner, but the rebound went only as far as Joe Malkin who was on hand to tap home.

Moments later the Dabbers could have had another when Malkin did well to turn Alex-Ray Harvey before crossing for an open Glover, but the striker couldn’t time his header.

A lot of the play inside the final quarter of the game was in the Hednesford half with Nantwich piling forward with Glover and Toby Mullarkey going close. The turnaround was complete with five minutes to go from another set-piece. A corner towards the back post fell kindly for Morgan who steered past Preston after the keeper had flapped at the first attempt.

A match filled with plenty of twists and turns had one more left a minute after Nantwich had gone in front. The Dabbers back line switched off from the restart and a long throw from captain Ben Bailey was met in the box by substitute Ben O’Hanlan and headed past Jaaskelainen to earn Hednesford a draw.




Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance
16/03/2019 3:00 pm The Pitching In Northern Premier League 2018/19 90' 807

Hednesford Town

Nantwich Town FC


Keys Park
Hednesford, Cannock WS12 2DZ, UK