Nantwich Town 3
Stalybridge Celtic 0

Nantwich Town’s first home game didn’t disappoint the near full capacity crowd that turned out for the fixture. The Dabbers came out of the blocks early with Malkin and Koral having chances in the opening minutes. Callum Saunders was next in the queue for an effort on goal after Joel Stair played him in, Tom Stewart was made to made a crucial save for the Celts. 

Stalybridge had a few runs of possession later into the first half but were unable to break down the Nantwich back four. The Dabbers had a two corners on the bounce with success in the later.

After a flurry of chances the deadlock was broke by a scramble for the ball cleared off the line by Stewart, straight into the path of Joel Stair who’s outstretched effort ensured it made it over the line and into the goal amidst a crowded six yard box. 

Nantwich dominated the first half and were unlucky not to have more on the scoreboard at the end of the half.

A change at HT saw Malkin replaced with Connor Heath who made an impact as soon as he stepped on the pitch, taking a free kick in his first playing minute. It was a good effort that cleared the wall but also cleared the post as well. Stewart in the Stalybridge net had more to do after successive chances from Heath and Saunders ended up in his arms.

In the 78th minute the fans were able to welcome back club Captain Casper Hughes who returned from injury, being given the armband from Joel Stair as he came on the pitch.

After Heath’s several chances he the one that counted after birthday boy Callum Saunders spotted the keeper off the line and tried to lob the ball in the net, after hitting the underside of the crossbar and the ball bouncing off the line, it fell to Heath who was able to beat his man and hit it into an open net. 

In the last minutes of the game former Celtic player Prince Haywood made a run down the right flank with the ball, he held the ball up towards the corner but spotted a gap, cut in and bended his shot past the keeper to make it three. 

A well deserved win by the boys in green, giving Nantwich their first win of the season and putting them in second place in the second game week. 


MOTM Sponsored by Nantwich Refrigeration Services – Callum Saunders

Dabber of the Day – Dan Wilkinson, Match Commentator

Attendance – 525

Nantwich Town

1 Hall, Greg
2 Koral, Mike
3 Devine, Matthew
4 Stair, Joel
5 Bourne, Troy
6 Harrison, Ben
7 Lawrie, James
8 Haywood, Prince Yellow Card
9 Malkin, Joesph > 45
10 Walsh, Luke > 79
11 Saunders, Callum
12 Langley, Josh
13 Hawkins, James
14 Heath, Connor < 45
15 Hughes, Casper < 79
16 Mwasile, Joe
Stalybridge Celtic
1 Stewart, Tom
2 Mantack, Kallum Yellow Card
3 Sass, Freddie > 45
4 Sephton, Scott
5 Wilson, Tom
6 Barlow, Luke
7 Deacon, Keano
8 Holness, Damani
9 Salmon, Lewis
10 Doyle, Charley > 66
11 Ustabasi, Jonathan > 84
12 Burke, Mike < 66
14 Woods, Ben < 45
15 O’Halloran, Stephen
16 Freedman, Harry < 84
17 Williams, Anthony