Workington vs Nantwich Town

30/03/2019 | 3:00 pm
Borough Park




Jason Walker 9′, Scott Allison 78′(p)

Danny Glover 8′, Sean Cooke 19′(p), 67′(p), Callum Saunders 90′


  1. Aaran Taylor
  2. Matthew Douglas
  3. Gari Rowntree (c)
  4. Josh Calvert
  5. Sam Smith
  6. Bradley Carroll
  7. David Symington
  8. Niall Cowperthwaite
  9. Jason Walker
  10. Garry Thompson
  11. Conor Tinnion


Scott Allison for Garry Thompson (59′)
Dan Wordsworth for Sam Smith (65′)
Jordan Holt for Gari Rowntree (75′)


  1. Lloyd Allinson
  2. Jamie Morgan
  3. Louis Barnes
  4. Joel Stair
  5. Toby Mullarkey
  6. Caspar Hughes (c)
  7. Troy Bourne
  8. James Lawrie
  9. Danny Glover
  10. Sean Cooke
  11. Callum Saunders


Joe Mwasile for Louis Barnes (89′)
Matt Bell for Sean Cooke (89′)

A Sean Cooke brace from the penalty spot saw Nantwich claim their first ever win at Borough Park to topple relegation-threatened Workington.

Danny Glover had given Nantwich the lead after eight minutes, before Jason Walker lobbed Lloyd Allinson despite being in a dubious offside position, though the assistant referee adjudged otherwise. Sean Cooke converted his first penalty of the day after nineteen minutes, which concluded the first half’s scoring.

The second half saw the Dabbers converted their second penalty of the afternoon as Cooke again fired home, though Scott Allison’s penalty gave the Reds a lifeline with ten minutes to go. However, Callum Saunders was able to kill the proceedings in the final moments after capitalising on Aaran Taylor’s mistake. The win sees Nantwich secure a tighter grip on the play-off positions as the season enters its final stages.

Nantwich now move on to take on another relegation-threatened side in Mickleover Sports next Saturday at the Weaver Stadium for a 3pm kick-off.

Manager Dave Cooke made three changes from the side that drew with Grantham a week ago, as Nathan Cotterell, Joe Malkin and Matt Bell came out, the former to the bench, while Louis Barnes, James Lawrie and Callum Saunders returned to the side.

Nantwich began the game well as Lawrie had an early chance to give the Dabbers the lead as Barnes found Cooke inside, who knocked it to the former Northern Ireland international whose shot was just wide of the post.

The Dabbers wouldn’t have to wait long to take the lead as Sean Cooke delivered a fine cross to the back post which found Callum Saunders, who put in a neat ball to Danny Glover, whose half-volley smashed home.

However, the Reds were back on level terms a moment later, as a ball high and long from Workington found its way to Jason Walker, who lobbed Lloyd Allinson to equalise for the hosts, despite the positioning from the forward being slightly dubious.

The Reds could have taken the lead a moment later as Garry Thompson came close, though was denied by Allinson from short-range.

Nantwich could take the lead a few minutes later, as they won a penalty that saw Sean Cooke step up and fire home past Aaran Taylor.

Walker could have had a second equaliser on the half-hour mark, as a pass from Allinson to his defenders was misjudged, though the forward’s effort was missed.

Sean Cooke may have put the Dabbers further in front from a free-kick, though his effort went narrowly wide of goal.

That was all the action for the first half as Nantwich held a slim lead.

Lawrie could have had a simple finish early in the second period after being found by Saunders, though the midfielder mis-read the opportunity.

Saunders should have extended the Dabbers lead minutes later as he flicked the ball past Taylor, the ball was going wide but a bobble put it back towards goal though the shot tapped the post.

The Dabbers had their second penalty of the game on the hour mark as Saunders was tackled in the air, and Cooke converted once more to extend their lead.

Saunders moved down the left a few minutes later but was unable to guide the ball towards goal.

With fifteen minutes to go, Nantwich could have had a third penalty of the afternoon, but Saunders was adjudged to have been brought down inches outside the box, though the free-kick was cleared away, a subsequent free-kick moments later was also tipped over from Cooke.

With twelve minutes remaining, Workington had a penalty of their own as Allison sent Allinson the wrong way and gave the Reds a lifeline as they looked to push for a point.

However, Nantwich would put the final nail in the coffin in the final minute as Saunders capitalised on a scuffed clearance from Taylor, and the striker managed to roll the ball into the bottom corner.




Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance
30/03/2019 3:00 pm The Pitching In Northern Premier League 2018/19 90' 476


Nantwich Town FC


Borough Park
Workington CA14 2DT, UK