Match Report: Warrington Town 2-3 Nantwich Town

By Steve Sharman:

Three goals in ten minutes ensured a dramatic derby win for Nantwich Town as two goals from Sean Cooke saw a 3-2 victory over Warrington Town.

Cooke struck twice including the winner in second half stoppage time with a superb free kick, with Curtis Jones also finding the net with a close range header.

The Dabbers largely dominated the first half and started well as Ryan Brooke took advantage of a poor clearance from Liam Wills but could only shoot over from the edge of the box.

Wills had to be alert moment later as he did well to palm Theo Stair’s low drive from the edge of the box away to safety.

But having been on top, Nantwich went behind as Warrington took the lead on nine minutes with Scott Metcalfe taking advantage of a slip from Andy White before squaring to Lewis Codling who fired past Dave Parton.

This proved to be one of few efforts from the hosts during the opening 45 minutes as Brooke was involved again as he was inches from converting a fizzing left footed cross from Ibou Touray.

Sean Cooke was next to go close but after weaving his way into the box, the midfielder could only fire wide of the post, before the midfielder’s next effort was blocked by a defender after Brooke had squared the ball to his team mate inside the box.

Matt Bell then shot straight at Wills as the Dabbers continued to dominate proceedings before the hosts went close with a rare opportunity as Steven Gillespie shot over the bar from outside the box.

Stair then fired narrowly wide of the far post before the Dabbers first half was summed up as Andy White’s effort deflected off a defender and trickled inches past the post with Wills helplessly watching.

The second half continued as the first had ended as Wayne Riley was denied by a fingertip save from Wills before the keeper had no trouble saving Stair’s next effort on goal.

Warrington held firm and eventually doubled their lead on 78 minutes as defender James McCarten found the net from close range after the Dabbers had failed to clear a corner.

But four minutes later the visitors had a lifeline through Cooke, who fired into the corner after the ball had fallen into his path inside the Warrington box.

The comeback was then complete on 86 minutes as Jones arrived on cue to head Cooke’s corner past Wills into the net to draw the game all level.

Having thrown away the lead, Warrington instantly went up the other end and felt they were denied a late penalty as Simon Lenighan went down in the box under a challenge from Ben Harrison, but referee Alan Bennett decided against awarding a spot kick.

This wasn’t to be the last of the drama as Dave Walker raced through on goal but his shot was saved by Wills before Josh Hancock was subsequently fouled after the substitute looked to pull the trigger on the edge of the box.

Up stepped Cooke who brilliantly curled the resulting set piece into the top left corner to spark mad celebrations in the away end and give the Dabbers maximum points.

Next up is the FA Cup third qualifying round tie at Halesowen Town this weekend with a 3pm KO.

Warrington Town: Wills, Wylie, Metcalfe, Ventre, McCarten, Shaw (Grogan 50′), Codling (Harries 34′), Kinsella (Nicholas 66′), Kilheeney, Gillespie, Lenighan.

Subs not used: Winder, Cook (GK)

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, C. Jones, Harrison, Bell (Hancock 75′) Riley, Hall (c), Brooke (Walker 75′) Cooke, Stair

Subs not used: G. Abadaki, Gordon, Bourne.

Attendance: 304


« Back to all news

Developed By