Report: Buxton 0-1 Nantwich Town

By Richard Scott 

Nantwich Town kicked off the 2014/15 Northern Premier League season with a 1-0 win over Buxton FC at Silverlands.

A second half goal from captain Mark Jones was enough to give the Dabbers the win over 10 man Buxton, who had Greg Young who was given a straight red for a tough challenge on Dabbers competitive debutant Steve Jones.

The Dabbers could have taken an early lead on 1 minute and 17 seconds, when Max Harrop broke through into the area and hit a lob over Buxton goalkeeper Aaron Jameson but he was to hit the bar.

While at the other end Dabbers keeper Terry Smith was on hand to make a fine save to stop Greg Young from opening the scoring for the hosts, the resulting corner was cleared by the Dabbers back line.

The Dabbers second chance to take the lead came on 13 minute when a  Max Harrop corner caused chaos in the area and it found Adam Jones at the back post, but the centre half couldn’t get his effort on target as it went just wide of the goal. Then moments later Steve Jones climbed above the Buxton defence, but couldn’t find a way past Jameson.

Just before half time it was a heart in the mouth moment for the Dabbers when Buxton forward Shaun Tuton went around an on rushing Smith, but defender Sam Wilson managed to help his keeper out by getting the ball away to avert the danger.

With 10 minutes to go until half time,  Vinny Mukendi forced himself into the area and his cross was turned away for a corner, which Max Harrop took, which saw many Dabbers heads raised up for it but it evaded everyone and was cleared by Buxton.

Before Steve Jones found Alex Meaney, who hit a shot from outside the area, but his shot went just over the bar in the last action of the half.

The second half started at a frantic pace with Meaney being brought down midway inside his half as he looked to get the ball away to mount an attack. But the referee pulled back the play for the foul.  Before Smith was forced to make a fine save from Hardy to keep it at 0-0

The Dabbers started to press forward for a goal when Harrop raced through from a Meaney lofted pass, but the linesmen had his flag up for offside to deny him a chance of opening the scoring.

After a spell of Dabbers pressure the best chance of the game so far came when captain Mark Jones played a cross into the Buxton area which found Adam Jones, but the centre back’s effort ran just inches wide of the goal.

The first key moment of the game came on 58 minutes, when after a penalty appeal for the Bucks was waved away, the Dabbers attacked through Steve Jones as he was heading towards the corner flag, Buxton number 6 Greg Young  brought down Jones and the referee sent Young on his way for an early bath. The resulting free kick from Harrop fell to Mark Jones but his effort was deflected for a corner. But after a couple of attempts by the Dabbers it was cleared away by the hosts.

The Dabbers went ahead  on 71 minutes, when a Harrop corner was cleared to Mark Jones and the Dabbers skipper hit a half volley from 25 yards out into the back of the net to give the Dabbers the lead.

Buxton had a good chance to equalise  with 12 minutes to go. But Jonathan William’s free kick was off target.

The Dabbers had chances to add a second goal with Kyle Blake and Jordan Johnson both having excellent chances but were unable to increase the Dabbers score lead.

The Dabbers did have the ball in the back of the net for a second time when Johnson went through on goal but he seemed to foul the keeper which meant the referee had to chalk it off in what was the last moment of an action packed game as the Dabbers were given a standing ovation from the travelling supporters as they left the field.

The Dabbers play their first home game of the league season on Tuesday night against Skelmersdale United at the Weaver Stadium.

Buxton: Jameson, Ludlam, Green, Istead (Capt), Palmer, Young, Williams, Niven, Tuton, hardy and King

Sub: Stevens (on for Williams), Taylor (on for Tuton), Davies, Ryan and Reay.

Nantwich Town: Smith, Wilson, White, M.Jones (Capt), A.Jones, Bailey, S.Jones, Blake, Mukendi and Meaney.

Sub: Lycett (on for Wilson), Clayton, Johnson (on for Meaney), Callaghan and Bramall (on for Steve Jones) .

Attendance: 260

« Back to all news

Developed By