Match Report: Nantwich Town 4-0 Skelmersdale United

By Steven Dale

Two goals from Matt Bell and a goal each from Andy White and Joe Mwasile was enough to push Nantwich up to seventh and see off the challenge of  second-bottom Skelmersdale United at the Weaver Stadium.

The hosts went into this fixture with one notable absentee. Manager Phil Parkinson missing this Tuesday night encounter through illness.

An unfortunate build-up of traffic meant that the game had to be delayed for 25 minutes before action could eventually get underway. When it did, however, there were noticeable problems with the visitor’s appearance. A bizarre event followed as the visitors  took to the field wearing one of their opponents kits.

The visitors, despite the earlier problems, did create the first chance. A long searching corner eventually found its way to Chris Almond in the area but he could only head wide of the target.

Nantwich put themselves in the ascendancy after 10 minutes. A brilliant drive from outside the area saw Matt Bell notch his second of the season.

Following a quiet period, the hosts doubled their advantage on 26 minutes. A long searching corner eventually found its way to Joe Mwasile. The winger, despite being closely accompanied by the Skelmersdale defence, remained calm to slot home from close-range.

A spot of pushing and shoving 10 minutes before the half-time break saw Nantwich’s Ryan Brooke and Skelmersdale’s Phil Mooney become the first names into the referee’s book.

Andy White became the second Dabbers player booked when he attempted to prevent a quick Skelmersdale breakaway. A strong challenge was quickly penalised by referee, Darren Rodgers.

A determined run from Crewe loanee, Ollie Finney, created the final opportunity of the first-half. His strong run from the right-hand wing eventually saw him eventually flash wide just wide.

The visitor’s challenge began even greater just before the hour mark – as they were reduced to ten men. Captain, Strickland was dismissed for a strong challenge on Hall. The Nantwich captain, clearly feeling the effects of the earlier challenge, was replaced by Tim Sanders in the aftermath.

Dave Walker, the host’s final substitution, created his side’s first real opening of the half but he could only flash wide from inside the penalty area.

Despite being relatively quiet for large parts of the second-half, Nantwich, again, could have made it 3-0. A curler from outside the area from earlier substitute Sanders produced a smart save from Fearon.

A moment of magic really lit up the second-half, and the game, 10 minutes from time. A fantastic curling effort from Andy White gave Fearon absolutely no chance from outside the area to give his side a 3-0 advantage going into the closing stages.

The referee evened the contest, in terms of numbers, two minutes before the final whistle. Having been booked just a little while before,  earlier substitute, Theo Stair picking up his second yellow card for an alleged dive inside the area.

A great evening for Nantwich increased when man of the match, Matt Bell, added his second of the night in injury time. A brilliant performance from the hosts was rounded off when another curling effort found its way past Fearon.

The result saw The Dabbers leapfrog Warrington into seventh. Just one point behind sixth-placed, Blyth Spartans.

Next up for Nantwich, is a home fixture against Frickley this forthcoming Saturday (17th). Kick off: 3Pm.


Nantwich Town:

Parton,White, Touray, Jones, Stair, Hall (C) (Sanders, 61) , Mwasile, Bell, Brooke (Walker, 72), Finney, Abadaki (T Stair, 64).

Subs not used: Riley, Quinn.

Skelmersdale United:

Fearon, Davies, O’Riley (Ince, 56), Smith, Rendall (Whyte, 30), Wylie, Jeffries, Strickland (C), Almond, Wall, Mooney.

Subs not used: Hodgkinson, Bradshaw.

Man of the match: Matt Bell.

Attendance: 229.


« Back to all news

Developed By