Match Report: Mickleover Sports 0-0 Nantwich Town

By Steve Sharman:

Nantwich Town made it seven unbeaten in the league as they drew 0-0 away at Mickleover Sports in a game that also saw Fabian Spiess make a fine second half penalty save.

The German stopper did brilliantly to tip Nathan Jarman’s effort around the post just after the break with the Dabbers going close on a number of occasions in very difficult conditions at the Don Amott Arena.

Manager Dave Cooke made two changes to the line up from Tuesday’s win over Hednesford, as Callum Saunders, Caspar Hughes and Louis Barnes returned in place of Troy Bourne, Joe Mwasile and Joe Malkin who all dropped to the bench.

Having won the toss at kick off, the Dabbers kicked with the wind behind them, as Jarman was booked in the opening exchanges for a needless late challenge on Spiess, after the keeper had cleared his lines.

The game was struggling to burst into life although Sports’ striker Evan Garnett found himself in on goal, however the Dabbers backline were quick to get back and snuff out any danger as Jarman then fired wide a few minutes later when well placed in the box.

Nantwich had their first real chance on eighteen minutes as James Lawrie’s left footed shot from outside the box flew wide of the post after Matt Bell had done well to win the ball back in Mickleover’s half.

The Dabbers were restricted to efforts from range in the half as Sean Cooke’s curling effort looked like it was heading for the goal, but Lewis King was able to save well, as the home keeper then did very well to tip Craig Lindfield’s low fizzing shot around the post.

Ricky Ravenhill then received a booking for a studs-up challenge on Lawrie close to half-time with the Mickleover man potentially fortunate to still be on the pitch.

Despite a quiet half from Dabbers forward Callum Saunders, the former Crewe man was inches from giving his side the lead as his downward header bounced over the crossbar, before the striker saw his acrobatic effort tipped over the bar by King.

A minute later the hosts were awarded a very soft penalty as Lindfield was adjudged to have bundled Jake Scott over.

However, Jarman’s spot-kick was superbly tipped wide by Spiess, who then made a fine save from Ravenhill from the following corner with Lawrie also clearing an effort off the line in a mad couple of minutes.

Garnett then had the ball in the net after Spiess had palmed Jimmy Phillips’ low shot out but the former Belper forward was correctly ruled to have been offside.

The Dabbers were coming back into the game and Cooke was denied by a low save from King after Lindfield had threaded a ball through to the midfielder, before the keeper did well to gather Louis Barnes’ free-kick at the second attempt after it had deflected off the Mickleover wall.

Nantwich were to have one more chance to win the game but Cooke’s effort from the edge of the box flew wide of the far post as the two team settled for a point each.

The Dabbers are back on the road this Tuesday as they make the long trip to Grantham Town with a 7.45pm KO – fans who can’t make the game can follow the game on the club’s Twitter @TheDabbers, or by listening to live and uninterrupted coverage on DabbersLive (

Mickleover Sports:¬†King, Scott, Warren, McGrath, Mills, Burgin (C) (Kozluk 90′), Phillips, Ravenhill, Jarman, Garnett (Marselia 79′), Roberts (Burrows 60′)

Subs not used: Cribley

Nantwich Town:¬†Spiess, Morgan, Barnes, Stair, Mullarkey, Hughes (c) (Mwasile 19′), Lawrie, Bell, Saunders, Cooke, Lindfield (Malkin 69′)

Subs not used: Phillips, Hawkins (GK), Bourne

Ref: Mr Tinsley

Att: 210

« Back to all news

Developed By