Match Report: Sandbach United 0-2 Nantwich Town

By Steve Sharman:

A goal in each half saw the Dabbers comfortably progress into the Second Round of the Cheshire Senior Cup after a 2-0 victory away at Sandbach United.

Sean Cooke’s long range effort three minutes before half time was followed by Harry Clayton’s second half header as Nantwich dominated proceedings in wet and blustery conditions.

Boss Dave Cooke made one change from the weekend’s win over Halesowen as Jake Phillips partnered Troy Bourne in defence as Clayton McDonald was rested.

The opening ten minutes offered very little in terms of chances as the Dabbers had plenty of possession early on as they looked for an opening.

Fine play from winger Joe Mwasile then saw Cooke take aim with the Dabbers’ first effort of the night but his curling shot went high over the crossbar.

Cooke was having plenty of the ball and his mazy run nearly gave the visitors the opening goal, beating two men down the left before squaring to Dave Forbes whose shot was well blocked on the goal line by Kris Stockton.

Five minutes later and Sandbach winger and former Dabber Jordan Davies burst down the left hand side before seeing his left footed shot easily saved by Myles Boney.

Forbes then struck the post on the half hour mark as Courtney Wildin’s whipped cross found the frontman but his volley struck the upright and bounced away to safety.

A minute later and Davies wasn’t far off finding the net as his dipping volley from range flew past the post with Boney beaten.

The opening goal did come three minutes before the break as Cooke fired in off the bar from range following a fine run and pass from Caspar Hughes, who was making his 100th appearance in a Nantwich shirt.

Hughes then nearly capped his night with a goal as his shot from the edge of the box hit the side netting after Clayton had squared the ball to the midfielder.

The second period began as the first had ended with the Dabbers dominating proceedings – Mwasile the next player to go close as his close range effort was well saved by Sandbach keeper Ryan Moss.

A second goal then came in the 64th minute as neat play down the left between Cooke and Wildin saw the latter cross to the unmarked Clayton who made no mistake from six yards as he headed in his fourth goal in five games.

Within a minute and it perhaps should have been three as substitute Nathan Cotterell saw his powerful close range shot well saved by Moss who palmed the winger’s effort over the bar.

Moss was impressing for the home side and he made a wonderful one handed save ten minutes from time, tipping Cooke’s goal bound effort onto the post, before Forbes fired the rebound wide.

The remaining ten minutes offered very little at either end as the Dabbers saw out the game and progressed to the second round of the competition where they will take on Crewe Alexandra at the Weaver in the week commencing the 5th of February.

Next up for the Dabbers is Lancaster City this coming Saturday at the Weaver with a 3pm KO.

Sandbach United:¬†Moss, Pearson, A. Clayton, Cooper (c), Stockton, Rowntree, Chadwick (Melingui 68′), Lane, Kirby (Cattermole 47′), Allcock (Campbell 66′), Davies.

Unused subs: Whitworth, Tullock

Nantwich Town:¬†Boney, Morgan, Wildin, Bourne, Phillips, Bell (Cotterell 65′), Mwasile, Hughes (c), H. Clayton, Cooke, Forbes.

Unused subs: S. Jones, Neligwa, Spiess (GK)

« Back to all news

Developed By