Match Report – Nantwich Town vs Marine, Evo Stik Premier Division

Match Report – Nantwich Town vs Marine, Evo Stik Premier Division

Photos by Jonathan White and Mark Welton

On a wet and windy Tuesday night at the Weaver Stadium, a 1-1 draw was a fair result between two teams playing in pretty tough conditions.

Nantwich started the game in 10th place and Marine 18th, although it is still early days in the league and points/positions don’t necessarily correspond with actual ability.

The first action saw a cross from Steve Jones sail dangerously into the Marine penalty area but the ball was headed clear. After 12 minutes, the ball was pin-balling off defenders in the NTFC penalty area before a shot from outside the area went harmlessly over the bar.

The first 15 minutes were pretty entertaining, with just one chance for either side.

After 17 minutes Jamie Morgan made a strong run into the Marine box but a last ditch tackle saved the day.

There was a huge chance for Marine on 21 mins when striker Mitchley had a free header and gaping goal but he headed wide. He should at least of made the keeper work in that instance.

There was another let off for Nantwich on 30 minutes, when Mitchley crossed and Hassall turned the ball over as he shot – another presentable chance.

Then, on 39 minutes, a breakthrough for Nantwich. Steve Jones put in a great cross and Jordan Davies beat the out-rushing keeper to the ball to give Nantwich the lead. 1-0.

Davies was brave in scoring the goal and got hurt for his troubles. He was able to continue after treatment thankfully.

The rain was getting heavier at this point, and at half time the score was 1-0 to Nantwich. A fairly even half with Marine having the better chances but Nantwich had managed to convert.

Marine started the second half as the better team and applied pressure for the first 15 minutes. After 66 minutes, they got the equaliser they deserved but with a stroke of fortune.

A mistake from Dabbers keeper Burzynski when he mis-controlled a ball and it slipped under his foot, letting Marine striker Mitchley in to tap into the net. 1-1. Burzynski had made some good saves up until this point, and has recently been Man of the Match, it was just one of those things and not helped by the greasy surface.

The best chance in the closing period of the match fell to Mitchley again from Marine but his effort curled around the post.

It was mostly huff and puff for the rest of the match with not many chances, and the match finished a draw at 1-1. Neither side would have any real complaints about the result.


Nantwich Town remain in 10th place with 13 points – W3, D4 and L2. The table can be found here.

Next up its a very tricky away FA Cup qualifying tie against Shepshed Dynamo. Saturday 16th Sept at 3pm. As always, your support would be appreciated.

Nantwich team vs Marine: Burzynski, Bourne, Morgan, Stair, Mullarkey, Bell (C), Hughes, Anderson, Clayton, Jones, Davies. Subs: Cotterell, McDonald, Baxendale, Brooke, Forbes



« Back to all news

Developed By