Match Report: Nantwich Town 0-0 Curzon Ashton

Steve Sharman reports from the Dabbers’ second friendly of pre-season against Curzon Ashton.

Nantwich Town were held to a goalless draw by Curzon Ashton in their first home friendly of the 2016/17 pre-season as Phil Parkinson’s side continued their preparation for the new campaign.

The Dabbers went into the game on the back of  a convincing 4-1 win at Alsager at the weekend, but were unable to find the net despite a strong display against their Conference North opposition.

Parkinson fielded a similar side with the exception of Wayne Riley who started instead of Ryan Jackson, and Theo Stair who led the line in place of trialist Jonny Kapend.

Both sides started brightly and it was the visitors who had the first effort as Paul Ennis’ fired his effort wide of the far post, before Sean Cooke had the Dabbers first shot as his free kick deflected narrowly over the crossbar.

Parkinson’s side began to grow into the game and it was another set piece which nearly opened the scoring as Theo Stair’s curling effort clipped the top of the crossbar.

Stair was once again involved midway through the half as his effort across goal was turned into the net by Riley who was adjudged to have been offside.

Curzon were inches from taking the lead as Ennis saw his low effort go past the post with Dave Parton beaten by the striker’s shot.

The hosts were in the ascendancy and continued testing the visiting goal as Cooke saw his effort tipped around the post by Hakan Burton and Stair was denied again, this time by a fine defensive block by John Hunt.

Parton was called into action moments from the break, as he superbly denied Chris Rowney saving from the midfielder who had found time and space inside the Nantwich box.

The second half saw plenty of changes for both sides with Jonny Kapend, Dom Smith, Andy White, Curtis Jones and Mat Bailey on for the Dabbers.

Bailey was involved straight away as his crossfield ball found Josh Gordon on the left hand side and the forward saw his shot fly over the bar after he had cut in past the defender.

With the flurry of substitutes the game struggled to replicate the first as both sides found it difficult to retain possession.

But in the 78th minute the best chance of the game fell to Dabbers’ trialist Kapend, who blazed over the bar after excellent link up play with Dom Smith.

Smith then had the chance to win the game as the forward went around substitute keeper Cam Mason, but saw his sliding effort cleared off the line by Hunt.

Nantwich Town: Dave Parton, Mackenzie Faulkner, Ibou Touray, Lewis Bergin, Ben Harrison, Sean Cooke, Steve Jones, Sam Hall (c), Theo Stair, Wayne Riley, Josh Gordon.

Subs: Jonny Kapend, Dom Smith, Andy White, Mat Bailey, Jake Davies, Curtis Jones, Matt Bell.

Curzon Ashton: Hakan Burton (c), Matt Flynn, Connor Hampson, John Hunt, Daniel Hall, Chris Rowney, Ryan Watson, Michael Potts, Niall Cummins, Ryan Brook, Paul Ennis.

Subs: Cameron Mason, Declan Butler, Liam Tomsett, Jordan Wright, Ryan Hall, Johnny Higham, Danny Wilkins, Dan Cockerline.


The Dabbers are in action this Saturday at the Weaver Stadium where Conference North side AFC Fylde are the visitors. Kick off is at 3pm.

« Back to all news

Developed By