Match Report: Nantwich Town 1-0 Buxton

By Steve Sharman:

Nantwich Town made it nine unbeaten in the league after a hard fought 1-0 win at home to Buxton.

Ryan Brooke’s second half strike was all the Dabbers needed as they saw off a strong Bucks side who needed a win at the Weaver to top the league table.

Phil Parkinson made just the one change to the side that comfortably beat Warrington Town at the weekend with new signing Joe Mwasile making his first start for the club in place of Osebi Abadaki.

The game began slowly for both sides although Ibou Touray had the first shot of the game in the second minute but saw his effort fly over the crossbar.

Ricky Ravenhill and Josh Hancock were both booked within the first 15 minutes as the Bucks’ player was shown a yellow for a pull back on Sean Cooke, before Hancock was booked for a late challenge on Danny Burns.

Buxton defender Joel Bembo-Leta then had a free header from Jamie Green’s corner but the right back could only see his effort sail into Dave Parton’s hands.

Parton then had to be at his very best on the half hour mark as he brilliantly tipped Green’s low effort onto the post after the defender had been played in by Brad Abbott.

The Dabbers were struggling to create any clear chances although Cooke’s burst into the box saw his goal bound effort well blocked by Burns.


At the other end, Nicky Walker had the final chance of the half as his chip over Parton sailed over the crossbar after the striker had been played in on goal.

Having struggled to create opportunities in the first period, the Dabbers started the second half brightly and Theo Stair saw his long range effort deflect narrowly wide before the striker’s cross was headed straight at Bucks’ keeper Jan Budtz by Wayne Riley.

Cooke then fired wide of the target after receiving the ball from Mwasile who had beaten several men before laying the ball off to his team mate.

Parkinson then made his first change of the game introducing Brooke on the hour mark for Stair and the striker made an instant impact.

After Cooke had seen his shot blocked, the ball fell to the former Curzon Ashton man and after turning on the edge of the box, he fired into the bottom corner with his left foot to give the Dabbers the lead.


Matt Bell then nearly doubled the lead two minutes later as his volley from the edge of the box flew narrowly passed the post with Budtz a spectator.

Abadaki was brought on for the final five minutes as the visitors pressed for an equaliser launching long balls and crosses into the box which the Nantwich box comfortably dealt with.

The winger who has netted in his last two games nearly found the net again in stoppage time but was denied by an excellent save by Budtz who stayed big as he looked to go round the Buxton stopper.

But the Dabbers saw out the remaining minute to claim maximum points and make it nine league games unbeaten ahead of this Saturday’s away fixture at Frickley Athletic.

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, C. Jones, Harrison, Bell, Hancock (c) (Abadaki 85′), Riley, T. Stair (Brooke 61′), Cooke, Mwasile.

Subs not used: Sanders, Walker, J. Stair.

Buxton: Budtz, Bembo-Leta, Green, Ravenhill, Burns, Young (c), Taylor (Jackson 46′), Abbott, Walker, Everington (Grayson 79′), Doran.

Subs not used: Williams, F. Bembo-Leta, Brooks.

ATT: 255.

(Photos: Jonathan White)


« Back to all news

Developed By