Match Report: Nantwich Town 1-3 Mickleover Sports

By Steve Sharman:

Nantwich Town began the new campaign with a disappointing defeat to Mickleover Sports as the much changed Derbyshire club took maximum points with a 3-1 win at the Weaver Stadium.

Sports took the lead through Adam Baskerville before Theo Stair immediately equalised to take the game in at half time all level. However goals in the second half from Jack Broadhead and Andy Dales ensured the visitors started their season with a win.

The Dabbers started brightly in the opening exchanges as Stair went close as his turn and curling shot was well tipped over by Sports’ keeper Lewis King.

Moments later Sean Cooke fired narrowly wide of the near post from distance before Stair fired high over the bar after turning his marker inside the box.

Mickleover were slowly imposing themselves on the game and took the lead on the half hour mark with  Baskerville turning the ball home from six yards after a low cross from the left by Andy Dales.

But The Dabbers responded immediately as Stair curled a superb 25-yard free kick into the top corner of the net, with Sports’ lead lasting just the 60 seconds.


The remaining 15 minutes of the half brought little opportunities for both sides continued to find a way to take the lead in what was a fairly even half.

The second half struggled to burst into life with the visitors happy with the game all level as Osebi Abadaki had a good chance on goal but his effort was easily held by King.

But it was Sports who retook the lead on 70 minutes as Jack Broadhead fired one in the top corner from the edge of the box after the visitors had worked the ball well in the Nantwich half.

Again Nantwich looked to respond to going behind immediately but Stair was denied by the woodwork after he waltzed his way into the box before seeing his shot strike the base of the post.

Mickleover looked the side more likely to score again and Dave Parton had to be at his best to deny Brodie Litchfield whose shot was well saved by the keeper.

With the game going into the final ten minutes Mat Bailey went close to equalising for the hosts but his header went narrowly wide of the post, after the defender had got the better of his marker.

Up the other end Parton was once again called upon as he saved well from Baskerville before brilliantly palming away the rebound with Sports’ striker ready to pounce.

But Parton was beaten for the third time in the dying moments of the game as Andy Dales took the ball around the advancing keeper before firing into the net despite the best efforts of Ben Harrison on the line.

Next up for the Dabbers is the first away game of the season as Phil Parkinson takes his side to Ashton United this Tuesday with a 7.45pm KO.

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, Harrison, Bailey, Hall (c), O. Abadaki, Curtis Jones, Stair, Cooke, Gordon.

Subs: Jackson, Walker, G. Abadaki, Bell, Steve Jones.

Mickleover Sports: King, Bennett, Turner, McGrath, Mills, Burgin (c), Dales, Broadhead, Baskerville, Litchfield, Schofield.

Subs: Grocott, Minott, Sims, Matinyaeze, Tolley (GK).

ATT: 358


« Back to all news

Developed By