Match Report: Nantwich Town 0-0 Sutton Coldfield Town

By Ryan Batty:

An over-indulgence in the Christmas festivities may have been the case for Nantwich’s Boxing Day 0-0 draw with Sutton Coldfield, as despite numerous chances to take the lead, The Dabbers lacked a clinical edge in the final third.

Dave Cooke named an unchanged side from the team that travelled to Workington on Saturday, with one change to the bench that saw Luke Walley return to the matchday squad in place of Steve Jones.

The fixture was preceded by the presentation of a long service award to Albert Pye, who recently celebrated fifty years with the club.

The first real chance of the game came for the visitors after five minutes as Clayton McDonald brought down an attacker around twenty-five yards from goal, which drew a free-kick for Sutton. The set-piece was straight off the training ground, as the ball was chipped over to a man on the right, who put it straight into the box, but the resulting shot was straight over the bar.

Nantwich’s first chance came a few minutes later through their own free-kick. Sean Cooke was shoved to the ground on the right-hand side of the pitch which earned the Dabbers a free-kick. Matt Bell floated the ball in, finding Jordan Cole in the area, whose header was good, but saved by Draper.

The Dabbers had most of the ball for the first fifteen minutes or so, one of the chances they had was by Joe Mwasile. The dynamic winger nicked the ball on the halfway line straight from the feet of a Sutton midfielder, and made a powerful run down the right.

He played a simple pass to Troy Bourne, who then laid it off to Bell. Taking a touch, Bell saw a gap and took a powerful shot that was juggled by Draper before being saved.

The next ten minutes were played largely without chances for either side, and after twenty-five minutes Clayton McDonald had picked up a knock and had to be substituted, Jamie Morgan his replacement.

Ten minutes before the break, Nantwich had another near-miss. They had a free-kick lined up on the right-hand side. Bell whipped the ball into the box and found Joel Stair, but the defender’s header just trickled past Draper’s far post.

Just a couple of minutes later, Nantwich had the ball in the back of the net, but unfortunately it was adjudged to be offside, as Mwasile was just a tad too early.

The two sides went into the break goalless.

The first clear chance of the second half saw Jordan Cole pick up the ball after the corner, but his neat side-footed shot that almost found the back of the net, but went inches wide.

Nantwich made their second change of the game eight minutes into the second half as David Forbes replaced Curtis Strong.

Ten minutes after the interval, Cooke found the ball on the right-hand side, and launched a shot towards goal that troubled Draper, but the Sutton keeper eventually gained control of the ball.

Sutton made their first change just after the hour mark, replacing Matthew Walters with Gurjit Singh.

After sixty-five minutes, Nantwich had another chance, as Forbes took a curled effort towards goal that went just wide of Draper’s post.

The visitors made their second change with fifteen minutes left in the game, as David Howarth replaced Harvey Howell.

With twelve minutes to go, Nantwich again came ever so close. Mwasile was through on goal and almost able to put it past the keeper, but excellent work from Draper prevented the Dabbers from taking a late lead.

Mwasile however, picked up a knock in the first half that had been troubling him most of the game, but eventually had to be substituted, replaced by Luke Walley.

A couple of minutes later, Sutton made their final change, replacing Checkaine Smith with Zak Martin.

However, despite three minutes of added time, Sutton were content to play for the draw and Nantwich couldn’t find a late winner, and the game finished scoreless.

The Dabbers are back in action this Saturday, as they host Mickleover, before travelling to Barwell on New Year’s Day.

Nantwich Town: Spiess, Bourne, Wildin, Stair, McDonald (Morgan 25’), Bell (C), Mwasile (Walley 83’), Hughes, Cole, Cooke, Strong (Forbes 53’)

Subs not used: Burzynski, Hall

Sutton Coldfield Town: Draper, Lyttle, Probert, Smith, Townsend (C), Beresford, Steele (Martin 85’), Birch, Howell (Howarth 75’), Walters (Singh 63’)

Subs not used: Kelly, Flint

Attendance: 366

Ref: Mr M Corlett

Nantwich Town Man of the Match: Joe Mwasile

« Back to all news

Developed By