Match Report: Nantwich Town 3-2 Frickley Athletic

The Dabbers are up to 3rd in the league after winning their 2nd home game in 4 days. This time they saw off Frickley Athletic 3-2, making it 6 points from back to back home wins.

They looked to be cruising to a comfortable win after going 3-0 up with 3 goals shortly before half time. Steve Jones grabbed the first, bursting clear on goal and slotting past Frickley keeper Seb Malkowski after 39 minutes. Tom Peers grabbed his first goal for the club in just his 2nd start with a similar finish before Joe Mwasile made it a hat-trick of well taken one on ones with a 3rd in injury time.

Frickley came out much brighter in the 2nd half, but the Dabbers had chances to add to their lead. The away side grabbed a goal back after 72 minutes when right back Ross Burrows volleyed in. He added a 2nd 9 minutes later to set up a nervy finish, but despite an almighty scare, the Dabbers held on to pick up 3 vital points.

Parky was forced into a number of changes from the side that beat Marine on Saturday. Sam Hall couldn’t recover from the knock he received in that game, with Wayne Riley taking his place in midfield. Joel Stair shifted to RB and Ben Harrison returned in defence. Dan Gyollai also returned in goal after he recovered from a dead leg which saw him miss Saturday’s game.

The kick off was delayed after the Frickley team got stuck in traffic on their way to the game. After a 20 minute delay, the game finally got under way. Mwasile had the first sight of goal as he spun and shot on the edge of the box inside a minute, but the ball deflected for a corner. Andy White then saw a header hit the post from a Cooke cross, but the offside flag was up against him.

Osebi Abadaki showed his confidence when he cut inside and shot straight at Malkowski as the Dabbers started the better of the 2 teams. Cooke then shot from just inside the box, but the ball took a deflection and made it an easy save for Malkowski. Frickley were under the cosh and the closest they came to a sight of goal was a blocked free kick from Waide Fairhurst.

Abadaki was causing all manner of problems on the left and he beat his man again, but his shot couldn’t find the target. Matt Bell curled one well over the bar as the Dabbers continued to control the game. They did suffer a blow though when Abadaki went down with what looked like a hamstring injury just before the 30 minute mark. Steve Jones came on in his place.

Jones was immediately involved, first seeing an awkward overhead kick saved by Malkowski before missing a glorious chance at the far post after a great cross from Bell. He was to atone for 6 minutes before half time when a beautifully weighted through ball sent him clear on goal. He waited for the keeper to go to ground before slotting in to give the Dabbers a deserved lead.

The Dabbers weren’t done there and doubled their lead 4 minutes later. After missing with a free header, new boy Tom Peers made no mistake with his next opportunity. The Dabbers unlocked the door with another well weighted through ball and Peers was sent clear. He lifted the ball over Malkowski to give him his first goal for the Dabbers.

2-0 became 3-0 shortly before half time when Frickley’s high line was punished again, this time by Mwasile. Cooke found him with an inch perfect through ball and he went clear before finishing well over Malkowksi. The Dabbers took a commanding lead into the break after 3 remarkably similar goals.

In the 2nd half, Frickley showed more energy as they sought a way back into the game. Fairhurst screwed a shot well wide before he forced a corner. The Dabbers were still looking dangerous as they searched for a 4th, with Matt Bell shooting over before Steve Jones got in behind again, but this time Malkowski saved his effort from a tight angle.

Jones turned in after a goalmouth scramble as he remained in the thick of the action, but the effort was chalked off for offside. A 2nd Dabbers change followed shortly, with Mwasile replaced by debutant Oscar Durnin. The veteran Jones was causing the Frickley defence all sorts of the problems. He got in again down the right, but his cross couldn’t quite pick out Cooke as the away side scrambled it clear.

Wayne Riley picked up a booking for a late challenge Pugh before Jones came close to a goal yet again. He was sent clear on the counter, but a combination of keeper and defender snuffed out the chance. With 20 minutes to go, Sean Cooke was withdrawn for Matty Ashbrook.

After looking set for a comfortable end to the game, The Dabbers were pegged back out of nowhere. A long ball over the top picked out right back Ross Burrows in the area and he smashed a first time volley into the top corner, giving Gyollai no chance. The Dabbers looked rattled and they conceded again 8 minutes later, with Burrows grabbing his 2nd after the ball dropped to him inside the area.

That set up a grandstand finish as Frickley pushed for a leveller. Rhys Meynell saw a corner ball fall to him on the edge of the box, but he couldn’t keep his effort down and it went well over. But with time ticking down, Frickley did go close to an equaliser as Joe Pugh stepped up and curled a 25 yard free kick off the post. The ball hit Gyollai and bounced to safety, much to the relief of everyone in the stadium.


Thankfully, despite some frantic late pressure, Frickley weren’t able to muster another clear chance, giving the Dabbers a nail biting win that propels them into the play offs for the first time this season.


Nantwich Town: Dan Gyollai, Joel Stair, Andy White, Ben Harrison, Curtis Jones, Wayne Riley, Joe Mwasile(Oscar Durnin, 58), Matt Bell(c), Tom Peers, Sean Cooke(Matty Ashbrook, 70), Osebi Abadaki(Steve Jones, 29)

Unused subs: Ryan Brooke, Troy Bourne

Booking: Riley

Goalscorers: S.Jones(39), Peers(43), Mwasile(45)

Frickley Athletic: Sebastian Malkowski, Ross Burrows, Jack Waters, Bailey Gooda, Reece Fielding, Rhys Meynell(c), Luke Mangham, Nathan Valentine(John Lufudu, 89), Joseph Pugh, Waide Fairhurst, Tyler Williams(Luke Porritt, 60)

Unused subs: Macauley Parkinson, James Kay, Joshua Diggles

Goalscorer: Burrows(72, 79)

Attendance: 305


« Back to all news

Developed By