Match Report: Nantwich Town 2-3 Ashton United

By Steve Sharman:

Two goals from winger Matty Chadwick saw visiting Ashton United claim all three points as they won 3-2 at the Weaver Stadium.

Chadwick opened the scoring after ten minutes before captain Mark Lees doubled the lead soon after with the former then netting a second half penalty to give the visitors a three goal lead.

Goals from Harry Clayton and Joel Stair in second half stoppage time then made for an interesting end but it was Ashton who held on and went away deserved winners.

Boss Dave Cooke made just the one change from the midweek defeat to Hednesford Town as Clayton dropped to the bench, with Steve Jones taking his place on the wing.

The Dabbers had the first shot on target early on as Sean Cooke saw his curling free kick palmed away by Ashton keeper Ashley Firth after three minutes.

It wasn’t long until the game had its first goal as Chadwick created space for himself on the edge of the Dabbers’ box before unleashing a low effort from 25-yards which flew into the bottom corner.

Ashton were enjoying more of the game and they went close to a second through forward Alex Johnson, who cut in from the left and saw his curling shot go narrowly over the crossbar.

A second goal for the visitors did come after 20 minutes as Mark Lees fired into the top corner from distance after Liam Tomsett had laid the ball across to his team mate.

Nantwich had it all to do and they nearly had a goal back three minutes later as Jamie Morgan crossed for Nathan Cotterell, but the latter could only find the side netting after weaving his way into the six yard box.

It could well have been three for Ashton on the half hour mark as Tomsett found Johnson on the right hand side of the Dabbers’ box, but the forward fired into the side netting.

The remainder of the half offered very little in terms of chances as Ashton were comfortable with their two goal lead as right back Lanre Olapade saw the first yellow card of the game for a poor challenge on Morgan.

Cooke made two changes at half time with Clayton and Sam Hall introduced to the field in place of Ryan Brooke and Troy Bourne.

Clayton nearly had the perfect impact as he was denied from close range by Firth after Jones had crossed for the former Kidsgrove man.

The Dabbers then had the perfect chance to pull a goal back, as after Clayton was tripped inside the box, referee Lewis Smith awarded the hosts a penalty.

Up stepped Cooke who saw his effort saved by Firth who did well to hold onto the midfielder’s effort.

Cooke then went close a few minutes later as he swivelled on the edge of the box before firing a half volley narrowly over the angle of post and bar.

Ashton seemed happy with their two goal lead but they did go close to a third as Daniel Pilkington curled over the bar before Chadwick did the same as he cut in from the right before firing over.

Chadwick was then given the chance to add his second of the game as Toby Mullarkey was penalised for fouling Pilkington in the box with referee Smith awarding the second spot kick of the game, which the Ashton man made no mistake in dispatching, sending Krystian Burzynski the wrong way.

As the game entered into stoppage time, the Dabbers pulled a goal back as Cooke found Clayton, who beat his man and fired low past Firth from inside the box.

Within a minute and the hosts had a second goal as Stair nodded in Matt Bell’s in swinging corner to set up a nervy end for their opponents.

But Ashton managed to see out the remainder of stoppage time to claim victory as the Dabbers suffered their second defeat of the week.

Next up for Dave Cooke’s men is the short trip to Stafford Rangers on Tuesday night, with a 7.45pm KO.

Nantwich Town: Burzynski, Bourne (Hall 46′), Morgan (Forbes 79′), Stair, Mullarkey, Bell (c), S. Jones, Hughes, Brooke (Clayton 46′), Cooke, Cotterell

Unused subs: Webster, McDonald

Ashton United: Firth, Olapade, Smalley, Granite, Chalmers, Platt (Smith 79′), Lees (c), Tomsett, Johnson, Pilkington, Chadwick

Unused subs: Durnin, Roberts, Banim, Povey

Referee: Mr L Smith

ATT: 291

Photos by Jonathan White 

« Back to all news

Developed By