Match Report: Hednesford Town 1-0 Nantwich Town

By Steve Sharman:

A first half own goal from Joel Stair saw Nantwich Town beaten 1-0 away at Hednesford Town on Tuesday night.

Stair deflected a Danny Glover cross past keeper Kristian Burzynski in the eighteenth minute, in a game that the Dabbers were unlucky not to come away with a point.

Manager Dave Cooke made two changes to the team that beat Shepshed Dynamo in the cup at the weekend, as Sean Cooke made a return in place of the injured Sam Hall, whilst Nathan Cotterell came in for Jordan Davies on the wing.

The Dabbers started the brighter of the two teams as Harry Clayton cut in from the right wing and fired a left footed effort that Hednesford keeper James Wren comfortably saved.

Wren was in the thick of the action a few minutes later as a fine move down the left involving Cooke, Cotterell and Jamie Morgan, saw the latter’s shot brilliantly saved by the keeper.

Cotterell was impressing down the left for the Dabbers as his pace and skill was causing Hednesford right back Richard Platt a number of problems.

However it was the hosts who took the lead 20 minutes into the game as Glover was played in down the left hand side with his resulting cross deflected in by the unfortunate Stair, with Burzynski well beaten.

Callum Bullock then went close to doubling the lead but he was unable to hit the target after being played in by James Lawrie.

The Dabbers continued to look for an equaliser as Cotterell’s fine run down the left saw his cross cleared by the Hednesford defence with Ryan Brooke inches away from converting.

Cooke then weaved his way into the Hednesford box down the left but his resulting effort was headed away by Ben Bailey.

Captain for the night Matt Bell then had the last chance of the half for the visitors as he headed over from close range after Clayton had headed the ball back into the danger area.

The opening ten minutes of the second period offered little in chances with the game very much stop start as referee Mr Barrett frustrated both teams with a number of decisions.

Burzynski then made his only save of the game on the hour mark as Bullock ran clear down the right with his shot palmed away by the Dabbers’ stopper.

Then with 20 minutes remaining, the Dabbers were inches from finding a deserved equaliser as Cooke’s curling free kick from 25-yards struck the post with Wren well beaten.

Both sides then took advantage of their bench with Dave Cooke sending on Clayton McDonald, Steve Jones and Jordan Davies.

McDonald went close as he headed Troy Bourne’s cross wide of the target before Caspar Hughes’ volley from just inside the box in stoppage time, looked set for goal but was blocked by the home defence on the line as the hosts held on for all three points.

The Dabbers are back in action this Saturday at the Weaver Stadium as they take on Ashton United with a 3pm KO.

Hednesford Town: Wren, Platt, Weir (Melbourne 77′), Bailey, Mutton, Fitzpatrick, Steele (Levingstone 61′), Thorley (c), Glover, Lawrie, Bullock (Lyttle 73′)

Unused subs: Nadat, Oji.

Nantwich Town: Burzynski, Bourne, Morgan, Stair, Mullarkey, Bell (c), Hughes, Brooke (McDonald 76′), Clayton (Davies 76′), Cooke, Cotterell (S. Jones 74′)

Unused subs: Rowntree, Forbes.

Referee: W. Barratt

ATT: 319

« Back to all news

Developed By