Match Report: Frickley Athletic 1-4 Nantwich Town

We bring you the report from the Dabbers game 4-1 win against Frickley Athletic.


Nantwich Town recorded their 5th straight league win and moved up to 7th after a 4-1 win over Frickley Athletic on Bonfire Night. They got off to a slow start and were punished when the Blues edged ahead through Luke Hinsley after 28 minutes. But after getting to grips with the game, the Dabbers took over and were ahead by half time, with 2 goals from Ryan Brooke putting them in control.

They looked for more goals in the 2nd half, but it was a red card shown to Frickley’s Derek Daly for a lunge on Sean Cooke which was the first noteworthy moment. The Dabbers took full advantage of the extra man to get 2 more goals, with Cooke and Theo Stair each notching to give the scoreline a more resounding look. It maintained their unbeaten away record and sees them move t0 10 unbeaten in the league.

The Dabbers made 2 changes from the side that started against Buxton on Tuesday. Osebi Abadaki and Brooke returned to the team, with Joe Mwasile and Stair dropping to the bench. The game was quickly delayed shortly after kick off when Frickley’s Sam Akeroyd took a Cooke free kick straight to the face. He required treatment before returning.

Frickley were the first to create a chance, as persistent work on their left saw Luke Hinsley advance into the penalty before skying his shot high and wide. Osebi Abadaki was drawing the ire of the home fans as he won his side a number of free kicks, but it was the Blues who next went close when a zipping shot from 25 yards was tipped around the post by Dave Parton, who had to get down quickly to keep the ball out.

The home side were on top in the game and were causing the Dabbers problems. Parton next had to be on his toes to see a free kick sail just past his far post. Frickley did get the breakthrough on 28 minutes when a ball over the top sent in Hinsley. He cut inside and showed admirable persistence to stay on his feet and roll the ball under Parton to put the Blues ahead.

That goal seemed to jolt the Dabbers into life and they started to create chances. Brooke shot straight at the keeper and shortly after, Abadaki was sent clear on goal. His attempt was saved as the game started to turn. Josh Hancock shot just over, but the Dabbers weren’t to be denied for much longer. Abadaki got in down the right, showing great determination. He then set the ball up for Brooke, who smashed a first time shot past Frickley keeper Seb Malkowski to bring the scores deservedly level.

The Dabbers had their tails up and went ahead shortly before half time. More good work down the right from Abadaki once again saw him get into a decent position. He once again crossed, but Malkowski came for the cross and could only palm the ball onto a waiting Brooke, who nudged the ball into an empty net. It was good positioning from Brooke and it paid off, with him grabbing his 5th of the season and 3rd in his last 2 games.

The 2nd half started in a similarly scrappy fashion to the first, but the Dabbers soon settled and resumed their control of the game. Hancock came close to a 3rd as his shot was well saved by Malkowski. Frickley were then reduced to 10 men when Derek Daly went in recklessly on Cooke, catching him with a lunging tackle. The referee gave himself thinking time and also consulted his linesman before deciding to show Daly a red card.

The Dabbers quickly capitalised on their man advantage, using the extra space to control the tempo and attack Frickley at will. They made their first change of the afternoon, bringing on Mwasile for Hancock. It didn’t take long for them to grab a 3rd. Mwasile made an instant impact, getting in down the right hand side and pulling the ball back for a waiting Cooke, who curled the ball past Malkowski for his 11th of the season.

The Dabbers made 2 more changes, with Stair and Tim Sanders coming on for Brooke and Wayne Riley respectively. They kept searching for more goals though, with Cooke hitting the post from a free kick as the game ticked towards full time. Abadaki then went close, seeing a shot cleared off the line with the keeper beaten.

They did get a 4th in stoppage time. Sanders tricked his way into the box, showing great skill. He then laid the ball on a plate for fellow sub Stair, who calmly slotted past Malkowski for his 6th of the season. It wrapped up another excellent away day and ensured the Dabbers head into 3 straight cup games high on confidence and bang in form.


Frickley Athletic: Sebastian Malkowski, Gary Stohrer, Derek Daly, Laurie Wilson, Bailey Gooda, Rhys Meynell(c), Sam Akeroyd(Luke Mangham, 55), Nathan Valentine(Noel Burdett, 68), Luke Hinsley, Shiraz Khan(Tyler Williams, 87), Joe Thornton

Subs not used: Jack Waters, Will Wells

Sent Off: Daly

Goalscorer: Hinsley(28)

Nantwich Town: Dave Parton, Andy White, Ibou Touray, Curtis Jones, Ben Harrison, Matt Bell, Josh Hancock(c)(Joe Mwasile, 66), Wayne Riley(Tim Sanders, 75) , Ryan Brooke(Theo Stair, 73), Sean Cooke, Osebi Abadaki

Subs not used: Dave Walker, Reece Quinn

Goalscorers: Ryan Brooke(40, 45), Sean Cooke(72), Theo Stair(90)

Attendance: 243


« Back to all news

Developed By