Match Report: Corby Town 0-2 Nantwich Town

zs2pcdi4qwcz7fjapsm0ca_thumb_66c1By Steve Sharman:

Goals in either half ensured it was a comfortable afternoon for the Dabbers after a 2-0 victory over Corby Town.

Osebi Abadaki fired in from 25 yards after ten minutes, before substitute Dave Walker bundled home late on as the unbeaten run in the league went up to eight without loss.

Phil Parkinson was forced into three changes with Sean Cooke, Matt Bell and Sam Hall missing through suspension so Tim Sanders, Wayne Riley and Theo Stair all came in after starting on the bench at Marine in the week.

The Dabbers started brightly as Theo Stair’s neat through ball found Tim Sanders whose shot on goal was well saved by Corby goalkeeper Aidan Grant.

It didn’t take long for the visitors to find the net as Abadaki fired in from 25-yards as he cut in from the left after receiving Josh Hancock’s cross field pass, before firing his effort in off the near post.

Despite the opening goal, the game started to get scrappy as the Corby faithful began to voice their frustrations at their side’s lack of creativity in the final third.

Both sides exchanged bookings midway through the half as Ibou Touray and Callum Ball were shown yellow cards for time wasting while Nathan Fox was booked for hauling down Abadaki.

Hancock then showed good footwork, as he waltzed his way past a couple Corby defenders but his final shot was tame and was easy for Grant.

The midfielder, who was captaining the side in Hall’s absence, then went close as he received the ball on the edge of the box before firing over the crossbar with his left foot.

Nantwich were dominating the game and looked comfortable on the ball despite a bobbly pitch and it was Abadaki who was next to go close as his low shot was saved by Grant’s legs after the winger had raced in on goal.

Corby were struggling to create any clear chances and Curtis Jones was alert as he did well to block Danny Draper’s low shot from the edge of the box.

The second half began as the first had ended although goal scorer Abadaki was forced off after picking up a knock with Walker his replacement.

The hosts did begin to create chances in the final third and Dave Parton needed to be alert as he got down well to save Callum Ball’s low drive from the edge of the box, before Reece Webb scooped over from six yards after the ball had deflected to him.


Three minutes later and Parton was called upon again as he tipped over Danny Draper’s close range volley although the midfielder would have been disappointed not to have found the net with the only the keeper to beat.

This was as good as it got for the hosts who went two goals down in the 70th minute as Dave Walker scrambled the ball home after a Tim Sanders cross had ricocheted around the box leaving the experienced forward to net his first of the season.

The second goal effectively made it game over as the remaining twenty minutes saw little goal mouth action although Ryan Brooke’s low cross evaded everyone in the six yard box.

Next up for the Dabbers is another away trip to Warrington Town next Saturday in the FA Trophy first qualifying round with a 3pm KO.

Corby Town: Grant, Kennedy, Fox, Anton (c), Gascoigne, Martin (Jepson 66′), Whittingham (Jones 66′), Webb, Ball, Draper (Johnson 84′), Crawford

Subs not used:  Marshall, Bell.

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, C. Jones, Harrison, Sanders, O. Abadaki (Walker 48′), Riley, Brooke, Hancock (c), T. Stair (Crook 75′).

Subs not used: J. Stair, Quinn, Griggs.

ATT: 478


« Back to all news

Developed By