FA Cup Match Report: Nantwich Town 2-2 Marine

Both teams pay their respects to Daniel Wilkinson, who sadly died on Monday 12th September 2016.

Before the game, both teams observed a minute’s silence in memory of Daniel Wilkinson, 24. Daniel was playing a match for Shaw Lane Aquaforce last Monday(12th September 2016) when he collapsed on the pitch and was rushed to hospital. He tragically died of a heart condition and the teams of the Evo-Stik league, plus a number of others, respectfully observed the silence in tribute. RIP Daniel Wilkinson.

Steve Dale now reports on the Dabbers 2-2 draw with Marine in the FA Cup.

An injury time equaliser from substitute Steve Jones saw the Dabbers earn a well deserved reply in their FA Cup tie against Marine at the Weaver Stadium.

Nantwich, who went into this fixture on the back of a 4-0 away victory against Grantham Town, started the game the much brighter side and created the first opportunity after only two minutes.

Ryan Brooke

Forward Ryan Brooke, having been sent clear from a long ball, flashed his effort wide of the target.

They created their next chance just three minutes later – a clever through ball from Sean Cooke found the feet of tricky forward Osebi Abadaki, who struck the upright.

Abadaki made up for his miss in the ninth minute however. Having received a long ball in a dangerous position, the former Winsford player ran powerfully towards the Marine defence before putting The Dabbers 1-0 up.

Osebi Abadaki scores the first goal of the game.

Having deservedly taken the lead, Nantwich should have doubled it after 19 minutes with Abadaki again involved. His clever through ball played in Brooke on the edge of the penalty area and the effort that followed from the former Curzon Ashton forward produced a comfortable save from the Marine goalkeeper, Calvin Hare.

Marine, who were under the cosh for most of the first half, had to wait until the 44th minute for their first opportunity. Midfielder Alan Burton did well to get himself free from a well-delivered corner, but his eventual effort was put wide of Dave Parton’s right-hand post.

Despite being second best for the majority of the first half, Marine went into the break level thanks to forward, Kurt Sherlock.

The Dabbers fans in good voice against Marine.

The former Runcorn Linnets forward, having been sent clear by a long-ball shrugged off the physical challenge from the Nantwich back line and remained calm to slot the ball past Parton.

Ex-Liverpool forward Craig Lindfield was sacrificed for midfielder William Smart at the half-time break, as Marine tried to match the tactical advantage that Nantwich had in the first half.

Having made that tactical change, it was Marine who had the first opportunity of the second half on 47 minutes. A poor clearing header put the Nantwich defence under pressure and the ball eventually fell to midfielder Alex Davies inside the area, but he couldn’t keep his effort under the crossbar.

NTFC v Marine(14/22)

The game had to wait until the 56th minute for the next chance and it was created when winger, Joe Mwasile disposed Ibou Touray midway inside the Nantwich half but his powerful run could only produce a disappointing shot which was easily saved by Parton.

Mwasile was at it again six minutes later, producing yet another strong run and shot. This time, it was well blocked by Nantwich defender, Ben Harrison.

Having dominated the first 45 minutes, Nantwich created very little in the second period; and had to wait until the 71st minute before creating their first chance of the half.

A good ball by the substitute Theo Stair found its way to Ryan Brooke in the area, but the forward chose power over placement and his effort flew over Calvin Hare’s crossbar.

NTFC v Marine(19/22)

Marine finally made their second-half pressure count and they thought they’d won it in the 85th minute. A well worked free-kick caused problems in the Nantwich penalty area before the ball eventually found Robbie Threlfall on the edge of the 6 yard box. The former Liverpool defender produced an unstoppable shot to beat Parton and put Marine 2-1 up with five to play.

The game wasn’t finished yet, however.

With 92 minutes on the clock, a clever header from Stair found veteran Steve Jones in the penalty area and the former football league forward’s glancing header at the back post beat goalkeeper Hare to rescue the tie and keep Nantwich in the FA cup.

Steve Jones celebrates his late equaliser v Marine in the FA Cup.

The Dabbers assistant manager, Neil Sorvel, said after the game, that their first half performance deserved the draw they earned late on.

“It was a carbon copy of our game last year, we let in a goal late in the first half when we should really have been further ahead.

We deserved a draw, we had total control of the first half so we were well worthy of it, we certainly didn’t deserve to lose.”

The late equalizer sets up a replay at the Marine Travel Arena this coming Tuesday night, meaning that both teams fixtures, against Skelmersdale and Workington respectively, are postponed.

Nantwich Town:

Parton, White, Touray, Harrison, Jones, Hall, Riley, Bell (Jones, 74), Brooke (Gordon, 80), Cooke, Abadaki (Stair, 63).

Subs: Stair, Gordon, Abadaki, Walker, Jones, Griggs.

Marine FC:

Hare, Brizell, Short, Goulding, Bellew, Threlfall, Davies (Hughes, 73), Burton (Foley, 78) , Sherlock, Lindfield (Smart, 45), Mwasile.

Subs: Whyte, Smart, Foley, Hughes, Willis, Field, Hessey.



Man of the match:



Photos: Jonathon White

« Back to all news

Developed By